Developed by Riot Games, League of Legends is one of the well-known multiplayer online battle arena video games. Being compatible with both Microsoft Windows and macOS, it offers a good gaming experience to you. But often users have reported issues while launching or opening this game and it ultimately results in the League of Legends not opening.
It might be due to various reasons like problematic internet connection, the problem with the installation of League of Legends, because of the client-server issue of the League of Legends, because of some modifications in the DNS settings and so on. If you are also encountering this issue, then go through this article till the last and find relevant troubleshooting solutions to get rid of this issue.
Troubleshoot League of Legends Not Opening Issue with Effective Fixes
Before performing any recommended solutions listed below, first of all, you should restart your computer. Doing this will not only refresh your operating system but it also deletes any corrupt temporary data from your system that might be causing the problem.
Once you have restarted your computer, now proceed to the troubleshooting solutions that will help you to overcome this issue.
Fix 1: Run the Game Directly from the Installation Directory
After double-clicking the shortcut on the desktop, if you find that the League of Legends not opening, then there might be some problem with the shortcut. In that case, you can access the game directly from the installation folder. Here is how you can use the main executable file:
- Go to the File Explorer and navigate to the C:\Riot Games\League of Legends.
- After that, you need to double-click on the LeagueClient.exe and check if League of Legends can open properly or not. Alternatively, you can also right-click on the .exe file and select the Run as Administrator option.
- If you find that the game is running smoothly on your device without any issue, then it indicates that the shortcut is corrupted and thus causing the issue. So, you need to create another shortcut on your desktop for accessing League of Legends.
Fix 2: Change user.cfg and Eliminate LeagueClient.exe
Sometimes, League of Legends fails to open in Windows 10 or won’t launch due to some issues with the user.cfg file. If this is the reason, then you can easily fix this issue by making some minor modifications in the League of Legends client.
So, follow the steps listed below to do the required modifications:
- First of all, visit C:\Riot Games\League of Legends and then go to \RADS\system.
- Locate the user.cfg file and right-click on it. Open it using Notepad.
- After that, you need to change “leagueClientOptIn=yes” to “leagueClientOptln=no”, then save the file.
- Once you have done this, launch this game again and go to your League of Legends directory folder.
- From there, delete the LeagueClient.exe file and save it.
- Now, again go back to your League install directory and double-click on lol.launcher.exe to run it.
- In case, the League of Legends still fails to launch, then you should try using the “lol.launcher.admin.exe” instead.
Fix 3: Disable All League of Legends Processes Running in the Background
If you find that the League of Legends not opening, then it might be due to the few processes that are running in the background. These processes might prevent the main game process. So, you can fix this issue by disabling all the running League of Legends processes from the Task Manager.
Follow the steps given below to disable the process:
- At first, open Task Manager in Windows 10 by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys altogether.
- Now, you need to go to the Processes tab. From there, you can locate both LoLClient.exe and LoLLauncher.exe processes and then end them. The process is quite simple to perform. Just you need to right-click on the process that you want to end and then from the drop-down menu, choose the End Task button.
- After you have disabled the required processes, try to restart the League of Legends game and check if it launches.
In case, it launches successfully, then the problem might be with the background processes.
Fix 4: Forcefully Update the Game
Corrupted system files are often responsible for the League of Legends not opening issue. This issue might also occur due to the inappropriate installation process. So, you need to forcefully update the game to fix this issue. Though there is no availability of the direct option for the update, you can force the update itself by eliminating some files from the installation folder.
Check out the below steps for updating the game forcefully:
- First, go to the installation directory. From there, navigate to the RADS and select ‘Projects.’
- There you have to delete two folders, namely, lol_game_client and league_client.
- Now, you need to move to the solutions folder. From there, you have to delete lol_game_client.sin and league_client_sin.
- After that, restart your PC and try to launch the League of Legends again.
It will force the game to update automatically.
Fix 5: Allow League of Legends via Windows Firewall
Sometimes, the League of Legends not opening problem occurs because Windows Firewall might block this game. This problem can be solved if you allow the game through Firewall.
- Go to the Control Panel of your Windows 10 system.
- Then click on the Windows Defender Firewall.
- From there, you need to select the “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall” option.
- After that, click on the Change Settings option and tick the League of Legends box.
Here we have introduced you to the best possible solutions that you can try to get rid of this League of Legends not opening issues. If you get a problem with following any of the above-mentioned solutions, then you can leave a comment in the comment box.
Also Visit: Exception Code 0xc0000005